Thursday, December 19, 2013

DIY Dishwasher Detergent: Go Green & Save Green $

Modern conveniences like dishwasher appliances help us all to enjoy the most of our lives by doing some of the "heavy lifting" for us. Not only is dishwasher detergent expensive, it doesn't always do a very good job, and it can be harmful for the environment.

It dawned on me this summer that the cost of the powder, gel, or little packs of detergent to put into the dishwasher was really out of control! I read somewhere on the internet that the cost of basic dishwasher detergent was a minimum of 30-cents per load. My homemade detergent? Less than $0.16 per load (trust me, I made a spreadsheet!).  And same basic ingredients for the dishwasher detergent go into the laundry detergent recipe (see that recipe post here).

My homemade dishwasher detergent does as good if not a better job than any store brand I ever tried. I'd enter it into a dishwashing contest because I'm pretty sure it's the best stuff ever. :) And it's made from all natural ingredients most of which have been around for centuries and available commercially for household use since the 1800s.  If pioneer women had dishwashers, I bet this is what they might have used. ;)

So it's cheaper, works better, and it's better on the environment plus I just like making the stuff that we use! 

So how do you make it, one may ask? Well, I thought you'd never ask! :) It's this easy! (You may double or triple or quadruple or whatever this to make much larger quantities - I just  make enough for my jar that sits on top of my dishwasher!)

  • 1 cup Borax
  • 1 cup washing soda (Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda is the only brand I have found)
  • 2 Tbsp Kosher salt
  • 1 Tbsp citric acid (or 1 packet lemon kool-aid brand) - this is optional
  • Mix all this in a jar or other sealed container. Mix or shake before use. Use 1 Tbsp for light load, 1.5 Tbsp avg / med load, or 2 Tbsp heavy soiled/full load.  
  • Add white vinegar (about $1/gallon) to the rinse aid reservoir for sparkling dishes & fresh dishwasher
1/5/2014 Update: I've stopped using kool-aid brand powered lemon flavor in my detergent as it isn't very natural, huh? I did use plain powered citric acid (found in the canning department with the other canning supplies) in my most recent batch. I am considering omitting the citric acid altogether to see if there is a decline in cleaning. What the heck is "citric acid" and just how do they make it and where does it come from and is it necessary? These questions are what leads me to make any changes in what we use on our bodies and in our bodies. So many products have so much added junk in them for longer shelf-life, color, flavor, smell, but aren't necessary and can sometimes be mild to moderately dangerous to some or many groups of people.

7/25/2014 Update: I have not been adding citric acid to my dish washer detergent mix and all is well in the world of dishes. Also check out my recipe for laundry detergent here.

9/2/2014 Update: We have hard water here at the new house and the recipe as written (minus the citric acid and vinegar) causes my glasses, silver, and plasticware to have a chalky feeling, looking film over them. My research leads me to believe the citric acid (or more salt) will eliminate this issue. Also, the new dishwasher in the new house is much older than my previous dishwasher and there is no rinse-aid cup built in, so I have not been adding white vinegar. I am going to add the citric acid back into my recipe and start using this method for adding vinegar to the washer as a rinse aid. I'll letcha know the results! :) R

9/2/2015 Update: (How funny that I updated this exactly one year ago today!) Well we have had to go back to store-bought dish washing detergent and soap. I'm not 100% sure but believe that the extremely hard, mineral-laden water is the reason (it could also be the 20 year old dishwasher, I am still mad that my brand new dish washer is sitting at my old house abandoned!) The glasses had a brownish haze on them either from tea or the water here, but it looked like everything we drank was chocolate milk. So gross! Back to the drawing board on this and one of these days, we'll have to install a water filter. This hard water is tough on dishes, clothes, skin and hair! 

No comments:

Post a Comment