Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Easy Crockpot Chicken Breasts & Kale Slaw

I only had a few minutes to spare yesterday afternoon but wanted to make sure I wasn't scrambling at six o'clock to make dinner.  (I hate that feeling of starving to death while I'm trying to fix food for other starving people!)  It was 3pm and I knew I was running out of crockpot cookery time.

Chicken

I threw four large chicken breasts into the stockpot, poured in half to one whole cup of white wine that I'd opened Friday (slightly vinegary, not drinkable), then seasoned the chicken with pepper & dried herbs: basil, rosemary, oregano, lemon thyme, and parsley.  Cooked on high in the crockpot for about 3.5 hours. SUPER EASY and everyone raved about it!

Kale Slaw

I harvested some kale from the garden to make a dish I had not yet tried: Kale Slaw. Click  HERE to view or print the recipe straight from Food.com (my favorite recipe site).  I included celery, but since I was out of carrots it was just kale and celery with the dressing.  I also interchanged some of the spices.  I used chili powder instead of cayenne, just a pinch of salt, and omitted the allspice and cloves.  I didn't even bother measuring the herbs and spices - I usually just wing that part of it.  Most of these spices were herbs I'd dried from the garden, too!
Click

The kale slaw was stupendous! Chris and I both liked it very much and will definitely make it again.  Next time, I'm going to include carrots, celery, and apple!  I believe any type of nut (walnut, pecan, almond) would go well in this along with raisins or dried cranberries, and possibly sesame sticks.  We ended up mixing up cut chicken into the salad so I foresee this becoming a main dish and doing some experimentation in the next week or so as we harvest the kale!

Bon appetit! 


No comments:

Post a Comment