Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Homemade Biscuits & Leftover Turkey Potato Soup

I am tired of turkey! LOL  I used the remaining leftover Thanksgiving turkey meat in an easy to make soup along with potatoes, carrots, celery, and fresh greens (kale, broccoli leaves, cauliflower leaves, kohlrabi leaves, and cabbage) from the garden.
Potato Turkey & Greens Soup


The soup got mixed reviews - my dinner guest ate two or three bowls full, but I for one, was not impressed.  I feel like it's missing something - maybe needs some bacon drippings and crumbles or salt or should have used chicken broth rather than the potato broth I did use?  I don't know, if you have any ideas please leave me a comment!! :)  


The highlight of tonight's dinner was not the soup. The homemade biscuits were the star of this show.

You will love these biscuits!  They are super easy and quick to make and don't require milk! (I was out.) These biscuits come out so well - real layers that pull apart! OMG even Miss Picky my daughter said they were perfect! Tell me what you think if you try these.

Fast, Easy & Delicious Homemade Biscuits

  • 3 cups all-purpose white flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon powdered milk
  • 3/4 cup butter, cold
  • 1 extra large egg, slightly beaten
  • 3/4 cup water

  1. Mix all the dry ingredients.  You may store this for up to 3 months in an air-tight container in the fridge or freezer.
  2. To make biscuits: Chop butter into dry ingredients until it resembles course bread crumbs.
  3. Beat egg with water then combine with dry ingredients.
  4. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead 5 to 6 times (at least).
  5. Roll 3/4 inch thick and cut in 2.5" diameter circles.
  6. Place on greased cookie sheet, bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. I think I have to make these biscuits for our breakfast-for-dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete